Saturday, September 21, 2013

Little Miss Muffin and Mini Best Flower Buds by Jay at Play Int'l.

I was excited to begin the shopping for this blog! I got my first $50 in my hot little hands and set off for my local Toy R Us!!! It was sooooooo long since I had been to a toy store and not spent all the time in the Lego or action figure section! My 11 year old son's name is Luke Sky Walker (yes, that is how it appears on both his birth certificate and Social Security card!) so you can imagine the kind of toys I have been looking at for the past decade! I wandered over to the toddler toys (I love baby stuff!) and through the FAO Schwarz section (that was new to me!!!) and finally made it over to the doll section of the store by the time my husband had parked the car and met me inside! Lots of pink, lots of pink. I thought working at American Girl was the height of "girly-ness"! Nope, new heights! And I loved it!!!

I thought I would focus on baby dolls, since I am really into the reborn babies right now, but I didn't find a baby doll that I thought was very interesting, or worth the prices they were asking for them. There was just nothing that I would have bought for my daughters when they were little, or for my granddaughter now. They all had such unrealistic faces and either talked or did something. Baby Alive is SCARY, people!

Barbie, despite her being the captain of all the vessels bound for Christmas Island every single year of my childhood, has never been my favourite exactly. She was just the biggest, so she always ended up taking over! (She was always kind of pushy and bossy!) There are some newer, beautifully articulated fashion dolls out there though! I never liked the Monster High dolls, but, admittedly, it was because my stepdaughter did, so I never investigated them fully, being the Wicked Stepmother and all! They are incredibly creative and different! It is hard to believe that they are made by the same company that makes American Girl! I will have to investigate further.........I felt myself getting away from my purpose! I kept going back and forth, aisle to aisle.......It was around this point in time my husband informed me he was going to go back to the car to listen to the baseball game on the radio. Oops. I have to keep him on my good side. I have Epilepsy and cannot drive so who else is going to drive me on these doll-getting expeditions???

Anyway, I found some fun little goodies! Little Miss Muffin and Mini Flower Buds!

They were really cute and really inexpensive! The Muffins were on sale for $2.98 (regularly $7.98) and the little one was $2.98 regularly! (There are little muffins and larger flower pots and "Jumbo" versions of both, which are significantly more, for some reason.)

The packaging on Little Miss Muffin was very cute. It looked like a container from a bakery. Added bonus: REALLY easy to get open!!!



Pretty simple! And super cute! Before the super easy open, the box had cute details, including an open side for what it describes as the "muffin fresh scent" (I did not detect any at all. Perhaps it was because of the open window???)





The little doll has is seated in a silicone muffin cup, which has some cute graphics molded into the bottom:


The doll is sitting in the cup and her cloth body comes out, with stuffed arms and legs and head, and when you flip the silicone cup inside out, it forms the doll's body!




Now, it is true, that she can only sit there but she is a rag-type doll, so the silicone actually helps her out a lot, in that respect! She has embroidered facial details and yarn hair. The details on her dress are printed.


And the dress is printed on the back as well:


The stitching details was very even and clean through the silicone:


Here is "Miss Vanilla" coaxing "Miss Chip"out of her shell:


They look super cute together! In and out of their cups!




I was very happy to get these cuties for my grandchildren, who were coming over a few days after my toy store trip for a baking session! They made a cute decoration before the cookies got made!


I thought it was adorable that they actually came with cupcake shaped recipe cards that small children could easily make. The recipe cards are laminated so they can be wiped off and used again! They seem collectible and different characters come with different recipes!





Although I really thought this was a little unnecessary......


The little Flower Bud was made the same way as the Miss Muffins, but the stitching was sloppy and I didn't notice it before looking at these pictures but there is no mouth stitched on my Bud!





Maybe there was a little half-smile stitched there but someone definitely dropped the ball on this little flower! The packaging was easy to open but the plastic tube may have been a better choice for something that was supposedly scented. The flower was not advertised as "scented", which I thought odd. Muffins and flowers have nice smells so why would you add scent to a muffin but not to a flower? But a child could easily get the toy out of this tube after the tape was lifted.




Here are the two sizes together. The muffins are about twice the size of the "mini" flower and the "Jumbo" of both the muffins and the flowers (the size I didn't get) are about twice the size of what I am assuming is called "regular" size, since the muffins didn't have a "size" in the title. Little Miss Muffin is Little Miss Muffin, no matter what size she is!


All in all, for the price, these are very cute toys! I could see the "mini" muffins or flowers being a cute goodie for a birthday party or a prize at school! My grandchildren loved them! They were a little difficult for a four, three, and two year old to pop out all the way but they caught on and could have played "peek-a-boo" with them for quite a while if cookies weren't readily available! My four year old granddaughter sat them side by side on the floor and they were having a long conversation about something! It was sweet to watch! She made them walk around and plop down, here and there, for a stretch, dreaming up some story to go along with it! I believe that the simplest toys can be the best for young ones because they can be so very creative, given the chance! The regular size dolls were better made but to get 3 dolls for under $12 was very nice and I may get some more for stocking stuffers!

2 comments:

  1. Betty received Little Miss Sugar as a gift from our elderly neighbor. I kind of assumed it was an old toy, (which we love) since it has kind of an eighties vibe to it. It's a cute little doll, and opening and closing her is a nice diversion in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought to myself immediately when I saw this doll, "What a great car toy!" Glad to see I was right! And it does have an 80's feel to it, with the style of the dress and the fact it is printed! So many of the new toys do! That era toy is making a comeback!!!

      Delete